Thursday, November 9, 2006
so, I made some fantastic brownies the other day, called "Grasshopper Brownie Cupcakes" and you should ALL try them sometime. I got the recipe off the back of a chipits mint choco chip package , but I'll copy it here for all you lazy people who don't wanna try tracking that down:
1. For brownie, melt 1cup chocolate mint chips (prolly you can use regular ones with a little mint extract, just add it after the melting step) with 1/2 cup butter. Stir in 1/2 cup EACH sugar and flour, 2 eggs and 1tsp baking powder.
2. mix until smooth, about 2mins. Pour into 24 large cups (realistically 11, why do they do that? like who actually gets the amount of the recipe you're supposed to?
3. Bake @ 350 degrees F for 15-18 mins or until cake tester (hello, toothpick??!!) has moist, not wet, crumbs on it. Cool.
4. For Grashopper mixture: melt 4cups of mini marshmallows with 3/4 cup of milk over LOW heat (yes, this was a stretch for me as there's only one setting in my cooking life and that would be MAX; patience anyone?maybe that's why there's always marshmallow lumps...). Remove and stir in 1.5 tsp mint extract (this part is critical, trust me, I may have accidentally dumped a whole bunch of mint stuff in and holy crap...not so tasty... better luck next time) and some green food colouring. Chill until cool but not set (I basically waited til I thought the whipped cream wouldn't melt) about 15mins.
5. Fold the mixture into 1.5cups of whipping cream, whipped (no vanilla). Top each cupcake with a spoonful (a serving spoon is still a spoon, right?) of the grasshopper mixture. Chill. (not an attitude statement, like, in the fridge). Makes (supposedly) 24 cupcakes.
ok, and another one I love:
ludicrous Speed Rice and Bean Bowl
and the amazing black bean salsa recipe from Maureen @ Pier1:
Black Bean Salsa
190z can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 large tomato, seeds removed and chopped
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander (I've only ever used about a tbsp of powdered)
1 cup cubed avocado
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp minced jalapeno pepper
1/2 tsp salt
Combine all ingredients. Chill 1 hour before serving.
So, that's all I gotta say bout that...try them out, let me know whatcha think